yay!!! Finally!!!

So as of today, my new baby is 2 weeks old. The delivery went really well, better than I could ever have imagined! It took 5 1/2 hours and I only pushed for 15 minutes before he came out. K Bean was there in Daddy's lap for the whole thing! She got a little freaked out for the pushing but Wade-o got her all stoked and excited when they saw his head come out. She likes to say "Mommy was making scary sounds and baby brother was purple!" Having a baby at home is such a different experience than having a baby in the  hospital. When we had Bean, she was born in the hospital and when she came out she went to the doctor then a nurse then another nurse for all the tests and things then to J Wizzle and then , finally, to me. This time, as soon as he came out, he was placed right on my chest where they were able to check his lungs and heart beat and suck the goo out of his mouth and nose. In the hospital they took my baby then surprised me with having to push out the placenta, at home I got to hold for as long as I wanted while we waited for the cord to stop pulsing before any one made me push again. The hospital made me lay on my back to deliver and gave me no real method of controlling my contractions, at home I could walk around or do squats or get in the tub full of warm water. The water was amazing, the warmth and the buoyancy helped relieve the contractions to a point where I felt I could really ride them and I really knew when to push. In the hospital, the nurses and doctors told me when I was or wasn't having a contraction (I was hooked up to all sorts a monitors), they told me when to push and when not to. This time I was truly encouraged to listen to my body and channel my inner goddess and birth this life on my own, in my own way. Don't get me wrong, it still hurt like bitch, but it was an amazing pain. Life giving, life altering. I didn't have to wait for any go ahead, I said I was ready to get out of the water after snuggling him close for a moment and the midwives and my beloved doula helped to dry me and wrap me while Wade-o said hello to his son. They helped me to my bed, only steps away, and got me settled then put his little face to my breast and started nursing. He didn't want it at first but after a second of thinking about it he latched on.

At birth he weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 21 1/2 inches long. As of Wednesday he had already gained a whole pound! I will call him "The Man-Child" and so far he is living up to it. K Bean has been a great big sister but I think she is starting to get bored with waiting for him to play with her...

The recovery was so simple, I was up and moving about days after his birth rather than weeks as I had been with K Bean. I didn't tear this time and I didn't want any drugs, I felt so powerful and I knew I could do it all by myself. We still spend as much time in bed skin to skin as possible but we have already been to the play ground with Bean and the grocery store twice. Oh and the baby boutique! He loves outings.

So that's it. The Goddess has truly blessed my family and I can't wait to see what comes next.

No comments: