7.05.2010

Best Birthday Ever!

Best 'insert holiday here' Ever! is an old family tradition. Every year at every holiday somebody will declare that this is the best one ever. My dad usually does Christmas but the rest of us will faithfully chime in, laughing and agreeing and enjoying being with family. But this year, I had a truly amazing birthday. Generally, I don't really enjoy this annual celebration of my entrance into this would. Of coarse I love getting gifts, but the whole party thing and the cakes and the reminder that you are getting old(er) sort of just depress me. They always have, even as a young girl. It can't help that having a birthday the day before the 4th of July means most of your friends will be out of town either. 
I think there have been a few that were wonderful and this year slips into that list, not as awesome as my 20th in France with my ballet company, or my 18th in England with total strangers who went out of their way to make me feel loved and celebrated but up there none-the-less. My 2 year old daughter is a priceless miracle who told me she loved me allll day long. I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my son and everything is going swimmingly. My husband and I are speaking to each other again and he's going to come home for 10 days tomorrow, and he sent me flowers! My mom and dad got me a gift certificate for an hour long massage at an amazing local spa. AND I got to take a 4 hour birthday nap! I don't really know what makes a birthday great, maybe this years was good because it was so mellow. There was no expectation of an embarrassing party. No little girl sad because her friends didn't call (facebook is amazing, everybody emailed or left a comment). Maybe it was the nap. I don't know what it was but today, the day after, when I usually don't want to be alive felt great. And I had my little love at my side all day.

No comments: